Thursday, December 8, 2016

Marine by Calling, Ohioan by the Grace of God

Permit me some sentiment, but the hero of my childhood died today.  He was two of the best things one can be: A Marine and a Buckeye.

John Glenn, American Hero of the Space Age, Dies at 95

For elementary school boys of my generation, especially those from Ohio who watched from their classrooms as Friendship 7 blasted off, there was no greater American.  He also had impeccable taste in athletic shoes.


Once, when I was attending a celebration at my best friend's uncle's house, the phone rang and my friend's aunt, who was managing a house full of guests, asked me to answer it.  I said, "Hello, [Redacted] residence", and the voice on the other end said, "Good afternoon, this is John Glenn.  May I speak with [my friend's uncle]?"  I should note that my best friend's uncle was active in the Ohio Democratic party; and organized crime, too, but that's another story.

Before I could catch myself, I responded, "On the double, Colonel."  Now, Glenn was, at that time, a U.S. Senator, a former astronaut, and had not been a serving Marine for at least sixteen years.  I doubt he had been called "Colonel" for as long.  But, I was well-trained and squared-away and I knew that, of all the titles he bore, that was the one that mattered the most.

It was no sooner out of my mouth when I realized what I had said and was prepared to stammer an explanation.  Before I could, Glenn responded, "Outstanding, mister".  Yeah, he knew and he understood.  It was just as automatic for him.

As Alan Shepherd said into that clunky headset as his fellow astronaut headed into orbit, "Godspeed, John Glenn".