Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Sometimes I Feel the Reverse of Winston Smith

[If you have never read George Orwell's 1984, it's rather short, may be read quickly, and is particularly instructive when dealing with an ugly government; not to mention frighteningly prescient in some parts.]

Perhaps it's because I just paid both my under-withheld taxes for last year or those for the first two quarters of this year, or because I have a new tax form to process, one that proves I have health insurance, or that I now must hire someone to guide me through this idiotic labyrinth of regulation, but I realize, per the reference in this posting's header, that I now hate Big Brother.

Oh, look: More nutrition advice from the people who have been getting it spectacularly wrong for at least half a century.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service issued a final rule Monday that will affect more than 3 million kids in daycare centers across the country. The regulation will only allow daycare centers to serve juice once a day, will ban fried foods, and encourages centers to not add honey to a child’s yogurt.

Because, you see, it's a government's job to decide all of these things for their beta sub-moron citizens. [That's a reference from Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, another book to be read by those who wish to study the "How-To" guides apparently used by our betters in secular service.]