Thursday, July 14, 2011

But, There Aren't Any Beaches In Ohio!

Granted, most people under the age of 40 would flunk any common US geography quiz, so I don't really have high expectations about many of my fellow citizenry knowing the names or locations of any of the 50 states or of significant geographic features like lakes, mountains, and rivers, but today I came across a comment on a website that left me a little disquieted. 

You see, one of my favorite surf spots is Huntington Beach, California.  It's nickname, as recognized by the California State Assembly, is "Surf City".  For those interested, I have some photos of it on my Facebook page.  However, there is also a town in Ohio, just west of Cleveland, named Huntington Beach.  A rather spectacular photo of a lightning strike over Lake Erie just off of the Huntington Beach shoreline was published by National Geographic today, and this caused a lot of commentary, naturally at the expense of Ohio and Ohioans, mostly from people in California and New York.  In other words, the usual.

However, one comment was, "Everyone knows there are no beaches in Ohio."  Well, hold on there, pard, and check out the photos below, each one is of the beaches along Lake Erie, a lake so big that it has tides, waves, and its own US Coast Guard station.





By the way, you can also go surfing in Lake Erie.  Don't believe me?  Check it: