Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Ideological Messaging in the 21st Century

I've become fascinated of late as to how often I am sent via e-mail "sermon topic suggestions" from obtusely named pseudo-Christian groups that read suspiciously like talking points from the Democratic National Committee.  It's a remarkable way of getting out one's secular messaging through a non-traditional medium.  Since many of my colleagues now see themselves more as social justice warriors than simple parish priests, this serves their needs, too.

In fact, at our recent diocesan convention, I was able to tell which of my colleagues receive the same information when at least two stood up to speak and employed the same statements, jargon, and pseudo-academic word salad as I have received in recent weeks.

I was also interested that something I was sent by the pseuds on Monday is almost exactly, word for word, what was said in a public statement by a New York senator on Tuesday.  That's some real message discipline.  That I can sit at a clergy meeting and listen to colleagues openly discuss their "hatred", "loathing", and "contempt" for the current occupant of the White House, and then shift to earnestly discussing our need to "respect the dignity of every human being" shows how complete the ideological programming has become.  Man, that Orwell was on to something, wasn't he?

For the record, I work for Jesus, not the Democrats, Republicans, or any other collection of secular ideologues.  To do otherwise is to dismiss about half of one's fellow citizenry, and that seems short-sighted and contrary to the challenging Gospel message.

Anyway, much of what I'm sent is also reflected in the statements and jokes of the late night clowns.  In fact, sometimes it's as if they all have the exact same writers.  So, I was interested in one clown's take on recent decisions and how closely it reflected a recent ideological e-mail I was sent; one that I noted particularly as it was grossly inaccurate.

Since this is from the Washington Post, it appears I wasn't the only one to notice.

Fact-checking Jimmy Kimmel on CHIP funding