Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Back in Old Ohio by Anonymous (1907)

Pardon, stranger, did you say you're from Ohio ? Shake. 

Born there, was you ? Well, I guess we're 'bout of the same 

make, 
An' I'm mighty glad to see you, stranger, for the sake 
Of the love I bear to old Ohio. 

What is that? You're from the hills? Well, shake again, by Jo! 
From the hills along the river, where the buckeyes grow. 
I hain't been there, I guess, since twenty years ago, 
But my heart is full of old Ohio. 

Down the river ! Fished there many a summer afternoon. 
Sat and dreamed there, too, on many a balmy night m June, 
Lookin' o'er the water where I see the risin" moon 
Smilin' white across the old Ohio. - , , ^ 

Twenty years a schemin' in among the crowds of men ! 
Twenty years! Fve seen a heap of this world since then, 
But tonight Fd kind o' like to wander back agin, 
Back among the hills of old Ohio. 

Sweetest times are the old times, like them we used to know ! 
Sweetest scenes an' sweetest dreams are them of long ago ; 
When we sat upon the banks and listened to the flow 
Of the waves along the old Ohio. 

Still her spell is on me, an' her music's in my ears. 
Still her beauty shines to me, although it be through tears, 
Still my heart goes back to her across the gap of years, 
Back unto the scenes of old Ohio.