Thursday, December 14, 2017

A Memory of Hell

Five years ago, I attended an atrocity.  It wasn't my first; I really hope it's the last.

Things I recall:

A young police officer collapsing in grief under a tree, his fellow officers shielding him from the view of phone cameras.

A classroom with its floor covered by a tarp, shapes still visible underneath.

The sound of parents in grief and mourning.

The shattered front doors of the school, a sign prominent that read "This is a gun free zone."

The next day I attended an ordination.  I presented the candidate, I recall.  When asked about it later that day, I remember saying, "I don't think I want to play church dress-up anymore" .

You know, I never quite did, either; at least not in the same way.
O God, whose beloved Son took children into his arms and
blessed them: Give us grace to entrust them to your never-
failing care and love, and bring us all to your heavenly
kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and
reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for
ever. Amen.