Monday, September 11, 2017

Day of Days

I have a memorial to attend this afternoon.  It will be small and quiet and a few of us will gather afterwards and do what people do when they are forced by a calendar to recall things they would sometimes rather not.  Mainly, we will order a drink or two and share photos of grandchildren.  All in all, despite the disruptions and emotions of that day, our portion was marked with moments of uplift and remarkable success.  So, there's that.

That's all I really want to say, as I find it unseemly to speak about my minor and relatively safe participation, especially as compared to the stunning sacrifice of the members of the fire and police departments.  I note that contemporary clergy now take "selfies" [stupid word] when participating in rescue events and post them to social media for their colleagues to admire.  I'm glad we didn't have such things sixteen years ago.

The article linked to below captures our slight, but historically interesting, part in what ultimately changed our culture.

9-11 Water Evacuation Was ‘Bigger Than Dunkirk’