Monday, September 25, 2017

A Communication from a Distant Place

Regular readers may recall that I received a message a couple of months ago from a long-dormant theological listserv, one that was attached to an ancient e-mail account at an Ivy League institution in which I studied and worked nearly twenty years ago.  It urged me, in what seemed to be part of a coordinated effort, to mention certain political talking points in my Sunday sermon.

I haven't heard from it since until this morning.  I am now being urged to mention Puerto Rico in my sermon this week and make "Puerto Rico to Trump what Katrina was to Bush".  I would find this amusing, but I know that some of my colleagues will follow this direction and turn Gospel-based proclamation into just another tedious political lecture.

Oh, look.  The media have gotten it, too, it seems:


Yep. Q.E.D.

Wow, people are catching on. I'm rather honored to have been included among those expected to spread propaganda on behalf of...whom? The e-mail I received was not signed.