Thursday, September 14, 2017

Back in the Bag


Well, it was inevitable.  I've been "reactivated", as they say, and will once again be wearing an esoteric uniform in service to some portion of the Leviathan.  At least it's for a good cause.

For long-time readers, you may recall that I served as a chaplain mostly to the merchant seaman who populate the commercial ports of the eastern U.S.  You may also recall that, during part of the government shutdown Kabuki theater of about six or seven years ago, we were informed by the Obama administration that we were disallowed during that period to pray in public.  Despite the obvious Constitutional ignorance of that stance, one that was probably presented by some bureaucratic microbe exercising a portion of his or her anti-Christian zeal, the government of the United States was forbidding the free exercise of religion.

So, I called a lawyer or two, arranged for potential bail, and invaded the port out of which I worked with the intention of violating this dull-witted command.  When I explained my intention to the guards at the gate, they laughed and said, "Go ahead, padre.  We don't mind."

Well, so much for the agonizing reappraisal of questioning authority.  I would have made a poor social justice warrior.  I did, however, submit my resignation from active chaplaincy.  I preferred to step back from an institution that would, in a moment of transient ideological confusion, abrogate my rights as an American.

But, I didn't completely walk away, mainly as I recall the whole reason I was involved in this was because of the events of sixteen years ago.  Also, from time to time, I did some good work.  Now that Texas, Florida, and the U.S. Virgin Islands are a mess, and commercial merchant shipping is serving the bulk of the non-military relief efforts, I'm needed again.

I've found my dress uniform, or at least parts of it, which is useless to me as no one is wearing dress uniforms in this rotation of duty, but I believe I tossed out my decrepit work uniform, along with the various cloth insignia, so this week will be a bit of a scramble to gather replacements so that I pass muster.  Since I'm being sent south to areas with, at best, spotty wifi, this will also be the last post for a week or so.

However, there will be a Friday biography tomorrow, on the 22nd, and on the 29th, by which time I will have returned.  Please check in on Fridays and please come back once we've returned to daily blogging.

O Eternal Lord God, who alone spreads out the heavens and rules the raging of the seas, receive into your protection all those who go down to the sea in ships and occupy their business on the great waters. Preserve them both in body and soul, prosper their labors with good success, in all times of danger, be their defense, and bring them to the haven where they would be, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.