Monday, August 7, 2017

It's Kerouac Monday

Kerouac invoked to encourage tourism:
Sleep on the top of the world in a Washington fire lookout

Actually, that sounds like fun.

Kerouac invoked to spark up a rather prosaic remembrance:
This must be the place: ‘We will get by, we will survive’ 

Bonus: Jerry Garcia.

Kerouac invoked to camouflage the fact that this writer knows little about the era about which he's writing and is also a Millennial snob:
Commentary: Baby boomers sell out 'Summer of Love' for cheap T-shirts
I get chills every time that I hear Jimi Hendrix play “The Star-Spangled Banner,” or when I watch Richie Havens tapping his foot and hearing him singing about finding freedom. I am not a baby boomer, of course, but I know about the Woodstock Festival in 1969. That said, I’ll pose a question to boomers (or members of that generation who were once hippies): Why did you sell out?
I can answer that question.  We "sold out" so we would have enough money to pay off your exorbitant student loans.  You know, the ones for which we had to co-sign?  The ones you can't pay yourself because you needed $200,000 for some gaggle of professors to teach you how to write gormless dross such as this.

Also, I'm glad you "still get chills" when you hear a digital recording of Hendrix.  Some of us Boomers get chills because, in the rainy morning in upstate New York, we recall that it was actually chilly.