Sunday, March 6, 2016

Sunday's Bookshelf

For the past few years I've been using a common and popular website both to track and share my reading selections.  Recently, I discovered that the site has taken to "censoring" books that they find objectionable.  These are not books of a vulgar, salacious, or prurient content, merely those that are in ideological opposition to the owners of site.

Personally, I'm getting a little tired of such sites deciding what's best for us all, instead of representing the great breadth of thinking for which books stand.  I've read repellent works like Hitler's Mein Kampf, Mao's Little Red Book, and Saddam Hussein's Big Book of Poems, not to become a Nazi, Communist, or Ba'athist tyrant, but to understand the thinking behind them, especially since so many in the course of history have found validation through these writings.

So, if I wish to read those books or some bilious nonsense by that loud, orange fellow who wishes to be president, or gaseous, self-serving piffle from a Democratic or Republican politician, I'd prefer to have the right to do so without the interference of yet another presumptive Orwellian "Big Brother".

With that in mind, I've bagged the aforementioned site and will now, on Sundays, post a title that I think The Coracle's discerning readers may find interesting.  Here's the first: