Thursday, October 9, 2014

For The First Time In 29 Years, I Was Actually Going To Attend An Alumni Lecture

Nuts.

Stanley Hauerwas drops out of General Theological Seminary lecture series after controversy

Hauerwas is considered by many to be the most effective practical theologian of our era.  He's always interesting.

“I was looking forward to going because I've known of General for my whole academic life, but I had never been there. At one time, it represented a commitment to an Anglo-Catholic tradition with which I’m very sympathetic,” said Hauerwas, who attends an Episcopal church in Chapel Hill, N.C. “I think the situation is one of deep pathos; it’s just pathetic. I’m sorry that I've gotten caught in it.”

While a number of religious scholars have refused to lecture at General because of the controversy, none of them has actually been invited to do so and, frankly, a lot of them are of little relevance to the contemporary church.  Not Hauerwas, however.