Wednesday, December 18, 2013

While The "Thought Leaders" In The Media Argue The Race Of Santa Clause, Christians In The Middle East Are Under Attack

It would be nice for them to be outraged by this, wouldn't it?

Forced Exodus: Christians in the Middle East

I once worked in a grubby newsroom with a bunch of rumpled men rendered half-dead by their alcohol and tobacco habits.  It was for a small newspaper chain serving little towns along the Pennsylvania/Ohio border.  They carried no Ivy League or journalism school credentials, did not have "power meals" at trendy restaurants [unless you count the local Moose Lodge], and drove Chevys and Fords.  But, they would pursue a story like this with energy and vengeance.

Why?  Because it's a good story; the kind that sells newspapers.

[I want to note, especially as "flyover country" people such as this tend to be dismissed by the East Coast folks with whom I have worked over the last 24 years, that they were also among the most intelligent and erudite people I have ever known, right up there with a standard company of Marine Corps officer trainees.  In fact, as I get older, I miss the wide-ranging and intelligent conversations that I could have with these rumpled men.]