Monday, July 15, 2019

Something Previously Unknown

I noticed recently that a lot of British men whom I see on the TV news tend to wear rings on their pinkies. Growing up, the only men whom I recall participating in that fashion were mid-level Mafiosi. However, it appears to be a thing among the upper class.
For something the size of a bonbon, the signet ring carries an awful lot of weight. Not just in carats, but in the unquantifiable currency of emotion. A signet ring is a statement piece. It says lineage. Bloodlines. Heritage. Not just any pleb. Heavy and slightly chunky, the signet ring is a portable and (intentionally) visible reminder that there are ancestors here. Important ones.
Personally, I've always found them vain and distasteful, but I'm from the Midwest and we find a lot of things vain and distasteful.