Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Why Do Massachusetts Politicians So Badly Need My Validation?

You would never think an old, Ohio hillbilly like me would be of such interest to these fancy folks.

John Kerry in 2004:
Mr. Kerry’s Ohio hunting adventure started last Saturday, when the senator, campaign entourage in tow, went into a grocery store and asked the owner: “Can I get me a hunting license here?” Even the phraseology sounded staged. Mr. Kerry ordinarily doesn’t talk this way, and his language sounded fake and patronizing — as if he was pretending to talk like someone from rural Ohio.
Elizabeth Warren in 2019:
Seconds later, Warren's apparent craving struck: "Hold on a second -- I'm gonna get me a beer," she said....
Pardon, but I'm gonna get me an air sickness bag.

What is their image handler's rationale for this?  "I heard people from Ohio speak like this in a movie"?

And now, an admission:  I've counted on this particular type of Eastern prejudice my whole life, all through the Ivy League and The Episcopal Church.  As a half-breed, Ohio hillbilly who is of a lumbering appearance and gait, I have found it advantageous when bosses and competitors automatically assume my cultural and intellectual inferiority.  Not only does it present marvelous moments of humorous reflection at the end of a work day, but I remain mostly invisible to them and, with invisibility, comes freedom.

So Elizabeth, feel free to return to your chardonnay and/or single malt drinking habits, that beer nonsense doesn't fool us at all, while I ponder how pathetic pandering does nothing but keep politicians in a cage of pretense while we hillbillies are gonna get us some of that there freedom to simply be who we are.

Oh, and Liz?  On behalf of my 600 tribal cousins from the Midwest, we won't be voting for you.  Being a phony beer drinker is one thing; being a fake Indian for the sake of career advancement is another.