Thursday, June 29, 2017

Unpopular Thoughts

Here's to you, world.
I'm not interested in what a professional lip-syncher's singer's home looks like.  Why was it in three of the four papers I read?  Is there suddenly an absence of world news?

For the same reason, I don't care how one tennis player ranks another.  They just play tennis, for heaven's sake.  The ants on the side of my house are more relevant to me right now.  If some loudmouth tennis player starts eating my siding, then I might care.

I find The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper a tedious album.  Magical Mystery Tour came out the same year and is easily superior.

I wish the Millennial Generation would read books other than the Harry Potter series.  Let me slightly amend a previous comment. Sgt. Pepper is better than Harry Potter.

Seriously, look at this:

I remember how happy educators were twenty years ago when children starting reading the Potter series.  "Kids are reading books, again!" was the refrain.  I think the hope was that this would lead to reading other books.  I guess that didn't work out.

Having said that, no author whom I admired as a young literature scholar has survived the reappraisal of my senior years.  Well, maybe Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises and some of the Nick Adams stories. Pity Hemingway threw away his more experimental writing for the gibberish that brought him fame and money.  And wives.

And don't get me started on The Beats.

As ever, I find Alex Trebek obtuse.