Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ride Your Bike, Make People Think About Malaria

Cross-country ride raises awareness in the fight against malaria

This reminds me of the annual event on Capitol Hill when young women wearing leafy bikinis feed vegetarian hot dogs to elected officials in order to boost awareness of...um...animal rights, I think. Yeah, I'm not sure what one has to do with the other in that case either but I don't begrudge attempts to boost "awareness" in something by indulging in fun, however tangential it may be.

Come to think of it, indulging in one's hobby for a cause can be argued as being "work" and doesn't necessarily have to be deducted from one's contracted vacation time. Brilliant.

To that end the rectors of St. Michael's, Litchfield, St. Andrew's, Harlem and I will be surfing waves in south Jersey next month to boost awareness of the need to address Descolada [it was the only disease that wasn't taken].

Thank you for your support.