Tuesday, July 24, 2018

A Pungent Observation

One of my former students is was a digital editor for The New York Daily News.  Yesterday, he was one of the newsroom staff laid off as the newspaper continues its downward spiral.  I noticed a lot of commiseration on his Twitter account, but really am not that worried about him as both his father and sister are prominent members of the press and he will find another job soon enough.  Still, speaking as a former stringer for a newspaper chain that no longer exists, not to mention a former paperboy for the defunct Cleveland Press, I note the loss of newspapers with some rue.

However, I can't help but notice the reaction of many members of the print medium about the decimation of printed news.  When a manufacturing plant that employs thousands is closed forever, the newspapers recommend that those from the dead industry learn how to write computer code or train for careers in the health care sector.

When a newspaper lays off a portion of its staff, they react as if it's the collapse of the First Amendment and the literal end of democracy.

If I were of a cruel nature, I would suggest that the print reporters learn code or study for careers in the health care sector.

Unrelated pungency:  Suddenly, I want to be the illegal plastic straw king of southern California.  I just need a catchy criminal nickname.  How about King Bombilla?