Tuesday, May 1, 2018

An Obituary of Note: James Cone

James H. Cone, 79, Founder of Black Liberation Theology, Dies

Cone's A Black Theology of Liberation (1970) was a must-read book back in my seminary days.  This was before liberation theology was hijacked by the suburban Bolshies.

When I was taking my General Ordination Examination, the standard test given to all hopefuls during the final semester of seminary, I was working on a take-home essay that was to be completed in an 18-hour period.  I had remembered something from Cone that I wanted to include, but couldn't find it in any of the books in my collection or in the library.

So, glancing at the clock and figuring "What the heck?", I found Cone's office number [he worked at Union Theological and I was attending General Theological, both in Manhattan] and called him.

I more or less assumed he wouldn't be there, or would hang up on me, but he answered, listened to  my question, and responded to it.  He even laughed at my audacity.  "Good luck, young man.  I hope it goes well for you."

It did; it does.  Thanks, Dr. Cone.