Sunday, November 19, 2017

An Obituary of Note

Radio DJ Helen Borgers, L.A.'s longtime voice of jazz, dies at 60

I would always listen to Helen when on a West Coast surf adventure.  As we are of the same generation and came to jazz the same way, through the study of literature, I appreciated our shared understanding of the interpenetrating experience of the most American of music.

When radio stations began to stream on the Internet, and KJAZZ 88.1 became one of them, I couldn't have been more delighted to be able to listen to Helen whenever I wanted and wherever I was.  It was truly a treat.

When she was laid off by the station over the summer, a heavy blow to jazz fans, as difficult as it was not to hear her show during the week, it was tempered by knowing she would turn up somewhere and be streamed again.  Now, this heavier blow has been leveled.