Wednesday, September 14, 2016

30 Years

On this day thirty years ago, in the posture of prostration, the bishop of my diocese anointed my head and hands and then all of my priest colleagues placed their hands upon my head and made the sacrament complete.  All of them were men, as that's the way it was in those days, except for my fiancĂ©e who was, herself, a rather new priest.  I later married her, although not for that reason.

Thus, I was made priest.

My path through the church was...er, uncommon.  I professed as a novice monk in 1982, was ordained a deacon in 1985, and became the rector of my first parish before I was ordained to the Holy Order of Priests, which was highly unusual in those days.  Actually, it's still unusual.  So is the fact that I've never served as a curate, assistant, or associate to a rector.  It's always just been me.

I've been the rector, vicar, and interim pastor of thirteen parishes; the chaplain of three independent schools, a college and a university, worked as a fire department chaplain, prison chaplain, port chaplain, Christian surfer chaplain, and seminary professor.  I've worked with both the very wealthy and the very poor.  I've celebrated the Holy Eucharist in cathedrals, large Gothic churches, and small, wooden country parishes.  I've celebrated on beaches, in the woods, in the jungle, on a bus, in a vineyard, on a surfboard at high tide, and in languages not my own.  I've lost count of the number of people whom I've baptized, the good people for whom I've read the burial office, the couples I've united in Holy Matrimony.

Now, people have the gall to ask if I'm going to retire.  Please, this has just begun.  I can hardly wait for the next adventure.

I'm taking a retreat day today.  Among the words I remember from three decades ago are these:

May he exalt you, O Lord, in the midst of your people; offer 
spiritual sacrifices acceptable to you; boldly proclaim the 
gospel of salvation; and rightly administer the sacraments of 
the New Covenant. Make him a faithful pastor, a patient 
teacher, and a wise councilor. Grant that in all things he may 
serve without reproach, so that your people may be 
strengthened and your Name glorified in all the world. All 
this we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with you and 
the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever.  Amen.

And, as I said three decades ago, I will do so with God's help.