Wednesday, April 8, 2015

When I Think of Easter, I Think of Teasing and Scolding

Washington Post: Obama teases his critics at the White House Easter Prayer Breakfast
Obama noted the biblical call that Christians are called to love each other. But he said he sometimes hears “less-than-loving expressions by Christians.” He added, “but that’s a topic for another day,” to applause and some jeering and laughter, “I was about to veer off. I’m pulling it back.”
No reference was made to the 150 Kenyan Christians [mostly Anglican/Episcopalian] who were slaughtered just four days before just because they were Christian.  That, too, was "less-than-loving", but was committed by those who were not Christian, so never mind.  The president's speech had been written a week before and there was no chance to alter it before Tuesday because...well, I don't know why not, especially since he was willing to "veer off" for a portion of it.

I know he's the official politician of the Episcopal Church for whom no criticism must be voiced, but I'm really not interested in Christian comportment lectures from a guy who thinks Sundays are for golf.