Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I Appreciate That the News these Days Doesn't Report the Truth, It Merely Reinforces the Prejudices of its Audience, but Really....

In the era of the Rolling Stone/University of Virginia journalistic debacle, the media now tell stories, not report on facts.  Still, they need to be held accountable.  This is especially true of things such as found in this article:

National Rifle Association bans working guns from annual convention

I could biopsy this, but this fellow does a better job:
From this nugget, the writer at the New York Daily News has erroneously concluded that the NRA is full of hypocrites, who are against gun rules everywhere except their own convention.
This, I’m afraid, is nonsense. For a start, there’s no “this year” about it. At the NRA Convention, the display guns are always nonoperational, and they are never, ever for sale. Why? Well, a) because it’s a trade show, not a bazaar; b) because the rules governing interstate purchases are extremely complicated; and c) because there is simply no way that there would be enough guns available to satisfy the demand. This isn’t an aberration, it’s standard operating procedure. The author might as well ask why you can’t buy cars at the New York International Auto Show.
 Ordinarily, I wouldn't care about such minor things, except that I have grown fatigued by ordained colleagues and fellow residents of my county in Connecticut sniffing at me about gun ownership.  If I thought they were actually interested in the issue and its history within our republic, that would be grounds for intelligent conversation.  Instead, it's simply class snobbery dressed up as superficial social concern.  Just as there are people with whom I work at school who think me a dolt because I believe in God, so there are people who think me a lower-class Midwestern troglodyte for owning guns.  It is for them that such stories are written by the Daily News.