Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I Think This Is The Silver One


This was taken at Trinity Parish in Southport, Connecticut, where Jenni was the associate rector.  I was the chaplain and chairman of both the English and Philosophy departments at an Episcopal school at the time.  The officiant was Bishop Clarence Coleridge of Connecticut; the best man is now the rector of St. Andrew's Church in Harlem; the maid of honor, rather notoriously, was officially inhibited a few years back in order to become a Muslim. In retrospect, it seems as if significant portions of what the Episcopal Church has been in the post-modern age was concentrated in this event. 

Six hundred people were in attendance, including some of my students and my three oldest friends.  We processed with our entire families: parents, siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews.  The weather was perfect.  Twenty-four hours later I was enjoying a Mai-Tai at a beach in Cruz Bay.  Things get a little cloudy from that point on.