Friday, October 4, 2013

This Is Really Getting Stupid

I serve as an unpaid chaplain to members of the merchant marine community.  While a volunteer activity, I am granted status as a "civilian under government authority".  I also get a uniform which I wear on occasion, mainly for the annual photograph or for parades and such.  The reason that my colleagues and I do so is because the U.S. Navy can no longer provide enough commissioned officer/chaplains to cover the merchant service, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and U.S. Public Health Service.

Due to this nonsensical and mostly unnoticeable government "shutdown", about which I place blame on the entire system rather than one political party or another, I was informed today that I may not exercise any pastoral or liturgical services to personnel of the maritime service.

My other ordained colleagues who help in other branches of military/government service have received the same notice.  For example,

MILITARY PRIESTS FACE ARREST FOR CELEBRATING MASS IN DEFIANCE OF SHUTDOWN

This evening I'm travelling to the port of New London to celebrate the Holy Eucharist in defiance of a government order not to do so.  After all, if clergy start rolling over in the face of unfair and illegal commands from agents of the state, we reverse all of the traditional independence that we have earned in every country for the past two thousand years.

Naturally, I will be joined by all of the Episcopal clergy of the diocese who are willing to stand up against ill-placed secular authority.  Yep, I'll be all alone.