Thursday, October 31, 2013

If The Humanities Were Still About The Humanities, There Wouldn't Be A Problem

NYT: As Interest Fades in the Humanities, Colleges Worry

Plus a comment from a related source:
"There’s nothing wrong with the humanities, when pursued with rigor; the world needs more people who can read, write, and think critically. But the currency has been diluted for years, and consumers are finally catching on. And if you think that the problem is that “inequality and climate change” aren’t being addressed in the English departments, then you’re part of the problem."

Going into hock to student loans for the rest of one's life just to listen to four years of recycled and often half-accurate ideology from a tenured puffin with little real knowledge of anything useful does seem to be a questionable investment.  This is a pity, as once upon a time I would have argued that a humanities degree, as in my case, enabled a lifetime of employment and personal enrichment.  Now all one has to do is agree with the professor, claim to vote in the appropriate way, ensure that you know and hate the latest incarnation of Emmanuel Goldstein, and fork over six figures worth of borrowed money. 

I mentioned to an ordained colleague that I was glad that I majored in English as the degree has served me well during the years, whether I was a teacher, administrator, corporate buyer, educational consultant, business owner, or struggling musician.  Also, since clergy have to, essentially, write for a living, it has been invaluable in that regard.

She responded, "Well, I majored in Accounting and I can write."  I didn't say, and now wish I had, "Yes.  You write like an accountant."