Tuesday, May 14, 2013

It Won't Come From The Episcopal Church

Male Suicide: Where’s the Outcry?

“The suicide rate for middle-aged Americans has risen by nearly 30 percent over the past decade. This news is depressing enough on its own, but the gender breakdown is where it gets disturbing: According to the New York Times, middle-aged American men kill themselves at nearly four times the rate that women do.”

The church politely ignores the social issues involving men and military veterans, unless they can be cast as violent, homophobic, gun-loving, etc.  Then, the church has a lot to say; all of it negative.  Hmmm, I wonder why we have such difficulty getting men to come to church?  And really, in an age where there are more veterans than since 1946, why don't we have a coordinated program for their care and reintegration into society?

Well, we do.  I designed one and offered it to my diocese; they never got back to me.  I also offered it to the national church; they never got back to me.  The United Church of Christ in New England now uses it.  Thanks, Congo friends.