Friday, October 7, 2011

Today's Knee Update


Really, it's either this or a synopsis of yesterday's soap operas.  Yes, my days are filled with wonder.

I want to note that the folks at Litchfield Hills Orthopedic and its related surgery center were great.  They are punctual, always pleasant and smiling, terrifically organized with the paperwork, and tell me everything that I want to know.  [I've found that if I ask questions that are too specific, some health care pros bristle a little bit.  The LHO folks didn't mind at all.  In fact, the anesthesiologist gave me the breakdown of the local he was injecting into my knee without speaking to me as if I were brain-addled.]

The best part about Wednesday's surgery is that I was permitted to remain conscious and was able to watch the surgery, along with the surgeon, on their brand new hi-def TV.  Not only that, but the surgeon kept up a running commentary on what he was doing, showing me the various tools he was inserting in my knee, and even pointing out some areas to watch in the future.  [Turns out I had both new and old trauma to that knee; not to sound "macho", but there is a real downside to having a high pain threshold.]

Anyway, all went well and I don't think the actual surgery took more than 30 minutes.  I was released early, after exchanging war stories with the discharge nurse, a Gulf War vet who switched from the infantry to the medical corps because she couldn't throw a hand grenade far enough.

So, now I'm catching up on some theology books that have been published in recent years and with some murder mysteries, as well as a history of the so-called "Chitlin' Circuit", that collection of roadhouses and nightclubs that used to serve the "racial music" demographic and were the birthplace of rock n' roll. 

Today's big event: the massive dressing comes off.