Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Well, Here's Our Reaction

I spent yesterday wincing a little bit about the posturing of politicians [from both parties, thank you], the chest-thumping celebrations of college students who are not military veterans and were still wandering around elementary school ten years ago, and the sanctimony of some of my fellow clergy who, for some reason, felt it necessary to use websites and the social media to lecture and scold their fellow citizens, accompanied by select quotations from politicians, philosophers, and civil rights leaders. It's odd how many of my ordained colleagues don't use scripture passages to frame their public thoughts these days.

While it was coincidental, Christ Church spent late Sunday afternoon putting on a series of performances both polished and charming to raise funds for guitars for music therapy programs for physically and psychically wounded veterans. It served as a pre-emptive antidote to the next 24 hours. I especially wanted those who performed and donated and those who listened and donated to know that we exceeded our goal of $1200. As of this morning, the total is roughly $2000. This translates into 14 guitars instead of ten; which means 2-4 more "anchors" for music therapy programs.

I've already ordered the guitars that are to be un-altered and will be ordering the parts to begin work on the customized guitars today. I want to get them complete so that I may take at least some of these customized instruments to the vets in person.

The reason that I'm writing this post, outside of the obvious, is that, given the coincidental timing of the death of a terrorist [You want a scripture passage? Try Hosea 8:7], I found our humble and quiet fund-raiser to be an almost perfect public response to the recent events. We found our own unique Gospel-centered path, and that makes us what we are as Christ Church.

All of the performers with all of their styles were great. I am especially indebted to Greg Cava, Judith Kelly, Emma Cava, Mike Patterson, and Martin Meyer. These are people who regularly stand before audiences and offer their considerable talent. To have them gathered in one congregation is phenomenal. To have them give of their time and talent challenges even my notorious verbosity. I am touched, a little speechless, and deeply indebted to you all. This includes Marty Meyer, Josh Jordan, Erik Henry and the Shoe Poppers, too. You all made my smile.

More to the point, you have done something that is beyond words and, dare I say, beyond even music. You have directly addressed a terrible need in our society in a way that is particular. Jesus could not have hoped for more even from those who walked beside him in his earth-bound ministry.