Saturday, May 8, 2010

I've Just Ordered A Very Dangerous Book

From the first pages of the volume:
This book is a product of its time and does not reflect the same values as it would if it were written today. Parents might wish to discuss with their children how views on race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, and interpersonal relations have changed since this book was written before allowing them to read this classic work.
Good God, what work of heinous hate and vehement ideology would be attached to such a statement?  What is it from which I should so ardently protect my child? Would you believe, a copy of The Constitution of the United States, [along with the Declaration of Independence]?

I thought it a bit much, really, although I fully expect the Holy Bible in some Protestant denominations to start issuing the same warning.  But to find the warning in this book, too, is beyond the pale.