Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Reason For Twitter


The reason I opened a Twitter account [as seen in the right column of this weblog] wasn't so I could share the fascinating minutiae of my day ["I'm praying right now." "I'm crossing myself." "I just had a Vegemite sandwich, etc."], but so that I could keep track of what was happening in the aftermath of the Iranian elections last year. You see, with all of the ways in which we can now communicate, the best and clearest uncensored information coming out of Iran was through Twitter.

I'm seeing the same thing again with the devastation in Haiti. There are a number of Twitter accounts that you may follow. The one I recommended recently is RAMhaiti. Others may be found by following the site linked here.

[There are two things that currently give me hope. One is that there are a great many faithful Christians in Haiti, with supportive brothers and sisters in Christ throughout the world. The other reason for hope is this.]

[BTW, I'm currently ranked 482,996th on Twitter.]