Friday, September 18, 2009

A Word About The Rector's Schedule

Mrs. Rector and I have been preparing the interior of the rectory in hopes of presenting it as the center of parish hospitality [the non-sacramental form, anyway]. To do so we have been painting and, in a few cases, repairing some of the woodwork. We have also been moving odds and ends to the rectory in preparation for our final move, which was to be this weekend. [I should note that the paint and the labor have been our gift to the parish.]

Weekend plans were somewhat complicated when U-Haul suddenly was unable to provide the moving truck for which we had arranged and, the piece de resistance, none of our box springs will fit up the stairs. Well, not short of the use of dynamite, anyway. Thus, plans have been adjusted somewhat. All part of the great pageant of life, you know.

However, I do want the parish to know that I have been keeping pastoral hours each and every day since I began. In fact, I have not taken a day off in three weeks, contrary both to diocesan policy and my agreement with the parish. Anyone wishing to arrange a time to speak with me may do so easily by calling either the office or rectory. While it is likely that I will be there to answer, at times you may have to leave a message. If so, I will hear it and respond.

Once residency is completed in the very near future, regular hours may be more obvious. However, please note, and as I made clear during the interview process, I'm not a sedentary pastor. Small parishes never function well with a desk-bound priest. The function of ministry is to be part of a community; and that requires dynamism; not to mention the support of the parish in this practice.