Thursday, January 15, 2009

An Obituary Of Note

Just before I dash out the door for school, I have to post this as he was the creator of and lead actor in one of the most enigmatic metaphors for contemporary society ever placed on prime-time television. I would use the opening episode in my philosophy classes when we began the section on Existentialism.

Although it was over twenty years old when I first started to use it in class, my students would invariably think that it was a contemporary teleplay. I guess some themes truly are universal and timeless.



My students at Hoosac School and another school used to refer to the campuses as "The Village", thus endearing me to two different administrations.

Here's more:
"According to his IMDb page, McGoohan was the first choice to play Gandalf in the recent Lord of the Rings trilogy and Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies, but turned down both roles. He also was considered for the role of James Bond, but reportedly declined it for moral reasons.

McGoohan was married to the same woman for 57 years, and included in the contract for his first TV series, “Danger Man,” three special clauses: 1) no kissing, 2) each fight had to be different, and 3) his character must always try to use his brains before resorting to a gun."

He was married to the same woman for 57 years and turned down a movie role due to moral reasons? In his universe, he must have been seen as a mutant.