Saturday, March 28, 2020

The Art of Fixing Diocesan Prayers

Original, authorship unknown:

In union, O Lord with the faithful at every altar of your Church, where the Holy Eucharist is celebrated, I desire to offer you praise and thanksgiving. I present to you my soul and body with the earnest wish that I may always be united to you. And since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, I ask you to come spiritually into my heart. I unite myself to you, and embrace you with all the affections of my soul. Let nothing ever separate you from me. May I live and die in your love. Amen.

Revised by yours truly:

O Lord, we present you praise and thanksgiving in union with the faithful at every altar of your Church. We offer our souls and bodies, earnestly striving to be in covenant with you. As mortal circumstance prevents us from physically receiving the Body and Blood of Christ, we welcome your spirit into our hearts. We unite ourselves to you with the affection of our souls. May sin and the caprice of human will never separate us. May we live in your love, now and forever. Amen.