Thursday, January 9, 2020

Just One More Observation

If I seem to be pranging on about this a bit too much, it's because I'm British by way of my mother and received much of my teenage education in British schools.  While I have an American/Scottish disdain for English royalty, I have always respected a sense of self-less duty, such as that embodied by Her Majesty.  She is living history and I appreciate her for it.  Also, the Duke of Edinburgh tells hilarious jokes.

I rather liked Harry, as he was a proper soldier who also, once upon a time, performed his duties with charm and ease.  It appears that he has gotten involved with the unfortunate product of our superficial era, however.

This observation captures the cultural shift rather nicely:
Duty is anathema to a new generation whose chief goal is often self-realisation. Any notion of collapsing the self into something bigger than oneself, something more historic or something collective, is alien to many in the selfie-taking, values-performing generation. Indeed, the most striking thing about Harry and Meghan’s bombshell is the way they talk about the royal family as if it is little more than a stepping stone to their self-realisation.
Indirectly, this also explains why religion is such a hard concept for the transient intellects of our times.