Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Meet the Mother of Privilege

I notice that a leitmotif in the coming election cycle, that opportunity that politicians give us every few years to feel guilty and miserable about living our lives as independent, free-thinking, moral agents, is going to be this business about "privilege".

It's already getting turbo-charged in the Episcopal Church and, at some point, I'm going to have to sit in a room for hours with a fatuous expression on my face while someone with more power, income, and influence than I explains my privilege to me.

So, here are two things worth reading.  The first is about the remarkably privileged, wealthy, connected, and supernaturally Caucasian woman who began this business, and a second about how it corresponds with the Neo-Marxist overtones in our social discourse.

The Origins of “Privilege”

and

Privilege movement is racism on steroids