Wednesday, April 4, 2018

My Existence is Often Problematic

Throughout the years I've been looked upon as "problematic" for my half-breed race, or for my "whiteness" by those who don't know any better, for my hillbilly background, my foreign-born mother, my NRA membership, my Princeton education, my heterosexuality, my "privilege", etc.

Now, I'm old and in the way, according to the hideous children of the new totalitarian era.  I believe this is called ageism:
It isn’t only Ingraham that the Parkland zealots have rounded on. They aren’t much fond of old people in general. The old are on ‘the wrong side of the history textbooks that we [will] write’, Hogg recently decreed. That is, you will soon be erased from the historical record. ‘We can and we will outlive our opponents because they’re old and they are stuck in their old ways’, he said. Oof. That’s unpleasant. But it is only to be expected. Having imbued the Parkland kids with an extraordinary amount of moral authority, having hung on their every word and rounded upon their every detractor, the liberal elite in the US have helped to make them insufferable. The key problem here is not really the kids themselves; it’s the sanctification of them by a media and political set that hopes these energetic youths will achieve political goals they have never managed to. 
An ironic observation, given that some of his schoolmates didn't, in fact, outlive we old people, which is why we're having this entire conversation.