Monday, October 6, 2014

A Stray Morning Thought

esnob

Is it just me, or does it seem that we have entered an age where we are often being told what we ought to be thinking?  Not only has this become acute in the political sphere, but the proliferation of "lifestyle" websites seem to strive to promote a transient affluent urban ethos for every single person in the United States.

The only way to be fully evolved as a human is to ape the attitude of a childless thirty-something who lives in a small apartment and, preferably, does not own a car.  Those of us who don't share that style of life, either due to circumstance or, horrors!, free choice, are to be disregarded.  Often the language used to express this disregard contains the most remarkable vulgarities this side of a Marine barracks [or Episcopal monastery, take your pick].  Seriously, read the website "Gawker" sometime.

I loved living in New York City and, when I had to find a parish, found myself discomfited at life in rural western Pennsylvania.  Gradually, when I began to realize that what I paid for a month in the city would cover 3+ months in the country, that I could walk to a small lake to go fishing or rent a pontoon boat, that I could afford to own a car and use it to accessorize my new-found freedom, and that I could sleep at night in fresh air that was free from the city's noise pollution, I had a distinct change of heart.

Was I privy to the latest trends?  Heck, no, and that seemed healthier, too.  Chasing trends is superficial, wasteful, and, I think, damaging to one's spiritual life.  I was far less of a snob in Pennsylvania than I could afford to be in Manhattan.

This is why I'm surprised that the most common issue that Millennials have with "organized religion" is that they perceive it as dictatorial and Puritan in its moral regard.  However, their literature, entertainment, and political choices would seem to indicate that they really desire a life tightly constrained by outside authority.