Sunday, March 17, 2013

Relax, Let The Police Be The Ones To Control Guns

SWAT officer attracts ridicule after he’s pictured with his rifle sight on backwards

The scary thing about this, as I know from experience as I own a less expensive version of this rifle sight, is that it requires some practice to get it calibrated just right.  I've never been able to re-calibrate mine in fewer than ten minutes firing about 20-25 rounds.  Once it's "sighted in", it's great and highly accurate.  If it isn't, shots will go wide; sometimes wildly so.

So, as I believe someone in the article mentions, this means that a SWAT officer is using a deadly weapon, what politicians call an "assault weapon", in a live-fire zone without ever, ever having used it on a range.  He has never practiced with it.  Great.  These are the people we're to trust with our safety because, you know, they're the ones trained to use guns.

This was a lazy, bone-headed move that endangered people.  Had I ever done this, Gunnery Sergeant Webb would have made sure that I would not have been able to sit down until the next century.