Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Today in History: Members of the 1st Marine Division Raise the Flag on Iwo Jima


I understand that this may seem an odd post for an Episcopal priest, especially since many of my ordained and lay colleagues find the military, and especially the Marines, to be distasteful.  Heck, a parishioner once expressed amazement that anyone with an education would join such an organization and be trained to mortally defend her existence.

I guess this is why I never mentioned it in my early days in the ordination process as I didn't wish to have it held against me.  One can earn seven academic degrees and certifications, have knowledge of five world languages, teach at every level of education from kindergarten to doctoral candidate, be a published author, serve a long and varied career in what was once an intellectually-demanding church, and still be regarded as doltish and morally reprehensible just because, once upon a time, one wore a uniform.

Funny world, isn't it?  Funny church, too.

Anyway, as I was once a member of the vaunted 1st, this day is seminal and I am pledged to honor it.