Thursday, May 1, 2014

It's Not About Logic

It's about control.

A new bill making its way through the Connecticut legislature would ban daycare centers and home childcare providers from serving whole milk or 2% milk to the kids in their care. Setting aside for a moment the sheer lunacy of the proposed law's premise, I'd like to point out that it's also based on an incredibly faulty understanding of nutrition.

After all, this is a state that responded to its severe lack of public funding for family mental health support by almost making me a felon for owning an empty box made of cheap metal that was a half-inch longer than they think it should be.  [If I have confused you, what I'm saying is that I used to own a magazine for a rifle that held more than ten rounds of ammunition.  It held eleven.  It is a class D felony in Connecticut to own such a thing, as empty metal boxes are worthy of more serious attention than mental health.]

P.S. Rather than stand in line in the cold of winter waiting for a half-hearted state police trooper to give me the paperwork to register my empty metal box, I just threw it in the trash.  So, if you're reading this, Big Brother, please don't send a SWAT team to my house.