Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I Would Collect Philosopher Trading Cards...

...if there were such things.  When I was a kid the Holy Grail of baseball cards was Rocky Colavito's, the Cleveland Indians' best player in those days.  I finally got one, after years of trying, that still sits in a frame in my former bedroom in my parents' house.  Man, that was the best bubble gum I ever had.  It was the gum of victory.

I may have found what is for me the Rocky Colavito of philosophy: Roger Scruton.  He is a contemporary philosopher, an aestheticist, who writes some of the most wonderful common sense; which, after all, is what philosophy is supposed to be.

I think we'll feature a daily dose of Scruton during the days of Lent.  Here's a nice place to start:

"Contemporary atheism is the desire to escape from the eye of judgement. You escape from the eye of judgement by blotting out the face - most assertively the Face of God."

Now I want his autograph.