Wednesday, January 8, 2014

It's About Time Someone Said This

As the source is a "conservative" magazine, then most of the enlightened with whom I work, call colleague, or share a worship space will leave it unread.  That's a pity, as it addresses some very real issues that are absolutely destroying the university system in the United States.  Once again, I am reminded of that fellow dinner party guest who exclaimed to me a number of years ago over our bleu cheese and pear tartlets [yes, mine is not exactly the life of a Christian martyr] that "the country is better the more secular it becomes".  Well, universities have long since surrendered even the fey pretense of religious foundation, and look at how wonderful they now are.

The Outlaw Campus:  The university has become a rogue institution in need of root-and-branch reform.

As a former part-time university lecturer, all I can say is that I'm glad it was never my main source of income or ambition.  I always had the Church.  However, my colleagues who were attempting to secure full-time and even tenured employment were among the most exploited people I've ever seen, which is especially ironic given that higher education is supposedly the most enlightened aspect of our society and the one that assumes the mantle of moral arbiter in all opinion.