Wednesday, September 12, 2012

An Obituary Of Note

I wish I had noted it earlier, as I once presented this fellow's work at a clergy conference when I suggested that pastoral counseling was following the same unfortunate course as secular counsel.  I really need to learn how to go along to get along, as I was roundly shunned for daring to suggest such a thing.

Thomas Szasz Dead at 92

My favorite quotation from the obit:

Szasz argued tirelessly that psychiatric labels, as nothing more than names attached to sets of behavioral criteria, should not be used to strip people of their freedom or relieve them of their responsibility. Defenders of mental-health orthodoxy dismiss this critique more often than they address it, but even when they engage Szasz's arguments they cannot refute his crucial point about the arbitrariness and subjectivity of psychiatric taxonomy.