Saturday, March 28, 2009

Earth Hour

A very earnest young woman called the office the other day to ask if we were participating in "Earth Hour". For those who do not know, this is a well-meaning and scientifically delusional attempt to encourage people around the world to think that they're doing something about...ah...global warming, I guess, or carbon something or other.... Come to think of it, she really didn't explain it too well. Anyway, it involves shutting off the lights for one hour beginning at 8:30 Saturday evening.

Well, as one who once carried a "Nuclear Freeze" placard in a demonstration about three decades ago and is married to someone who once protested the launching of a nuclear submarine, I wanted to assure her of my Pyrrhic resume. Thus, I promised that we would not have any lights on at Trinity Church at 8:30 this evening. In fact, I told her we would extend our participation in Earth Hour from one hour to eleven hours and would not turn the lights on at the church until 7:30 on Sunday morning.

She was very pleased with us.

I then asked her if she would be participating in our "Hour of God" demonstration on Sunday morning and I think she choked a little bit. She said she would think about it. Yeah.